This can be very effective but sometimes this can be annoying to the visitor so it’s important to really consider is this the approach for you.
In this post we outline 2 different WordPress popups that can be used to increase email subscribers.
Do wordpress popups even work?
In the following image Christopher Penn shows what happened when he removed his popup. His subscriptions went way down immediately!
There are many different popups and some work better than others. Here are 3 different applications which can be installed as WordPress plugins.
They all provide different type of popup functionality so consider what would work for you.
1. Optin Monster for Light Box, Floating Footer Bar or Slide In
Optin Monster is relatively new and has a Light Box (popup box), Floating Footer bar and an option for a box to slide in on the bottom corner of your screen. It’s easy to set up and has some cool features.
You start off by selecting the type of Optin box you want and start configuring it. In this example we are using a light box.
- Optin Title: Indicate the name of your optin box
- Optin loading delay: Specify when the popup will appear
- Optin cookie duration: You don’t want this popup to keep appearing to the same visitors so you can specify a delay in days
- Require double opt in: Users will need to confirm their subscription
- Load on second page view: You may not want this to appear on the first page the user is on the site for.
- Use Exit intent: This is a really interesting feature. This monitors when the user has moved their mouse outside the main window. If they do this it’s likely they are exiting the site so this is a good time to popup something to grab their intention.
- email providers settings: you can connect your opt in to your email provider of choice.
Here is an example of a light box I created using one of the templates. The configuration for creating this was very straight forward and it took about a minute in total.
When you set up your slide in, light box or floating footer there are various configuration options. Here’s the options provided for the popup:
- Load optin globally – If you want it available on all pages
- Load optin exclusively on – If you want it to load on particular pages only
- Load optin on post categories – You may want the optin to only appear on specific categories
The reporting shows you impressions and conversions and is updated every 30 minutes. It also tracks the referrals and the conversions that each page gets.
There is also split testing available to see which works better for you. It’s easy to set up, you just clone (copy) your existing opt in and change what you want.
Optinmonster a really nicely designed, user-friendly product that is easy to set up and use.
The feature which tracks when users goes off the current window and then displays a popup is a very useful and will help with conversion.
There is more functionality coming soon including a full screen takeover option.
2. ViewBix – Video Popup
Viewbix is a customizable video player which allows you to put an email subscription form (or an option to click through to a page) within your video.
You can place the call to action at the start, during the video or at the end.
It’s very easy to setup. You start off by telling Viewbix where your video is stored:
You then do some basic customization of the video. You add a title to the video and you can also add a button to the top right of the video. When someone clicks on the button they are brought to a web page you specify.
Now you can add a range of apps that adds different functionality to the videos. For example you can add an app to allow users to click on a button to skype you, to go to a form on your website, add links to social media and much more.
You can also add an app for email so that you can build email subscribers directly within the video. Viewbix supports a range of email marketing/marketing automation tools including Aweber, Mailchimp, Getresponse, Infusionsoft, Constant Contact etc.
When you add the app you just provide some details of the email tool to connect the app within the email. You can then specify when the app appears e.g. at the beginning of the video, during the video or at the end of the video.
If video is a key part to what you do you should considering using Viewbix for increasing subscriptions directly within your videos.
Opt in email marketing is great but sometimes you give your visitors a little encouragement!
If you’re not optimizing your email conversion process you are loosing a lot of potential email subscribers.
There is no magic for coming up with the best email conversion process for you. It varies depending on your site and type of visitors. So you need software to test it out.
What do you use to improve email conversion?